Pages

Thursday 10 March 2011

A Curious Tale... 12

It doesn't make any sense saying she wasn't what I expected, because I can't say for sure what it is that I did expect. All the same, I'll do the unreasonable and say she wasn't what I expected. No matter what, I'm sure I hadn't expected a girl with dark blue hair. Navy. I only noticed when we were out of the store under the warm July sun. I mentioned it, probably the first coherent thing I said to her.
"Your hair is blue."
That's a measure of how struck I was with this beautiful creature.
"Yes it is", she said. "It doesn't bother you, does it?"
"No, it's just unusual"
She raised a bushy blue eyebrow and I shut up. Was it possible that her hair really grew that colour? I kept my thoughts to myself and led the way to the car. At least it was as black as it was supposed to be. Alizé didn't react to seeing it though. I'd have at least appreciated a 'nice craft' or something like that.
We got in and I drove off through the slowly gathering Saturday traffic. We wound our way through streets that looked cleaner than they should have, which I judged to be a trick of the light. The sun was that bright. Alizé didn't speak for the entire trip, so I didn't either. She didn't seem preoccupied, so I guess I just wasn't impressive enough to make her want to talk to me. I've always been used to not getting the attention of females, so I wasn't really bothered. I just plugged my iPod into the car's Bose stereo and played some Michael Jackson. Everyone likes Michael Jackson, I figured. Or at least everyone did a few centuries ago. If she did, she didn't show it.
In a few minutes we were in Lewisham. I didn't want to go to the shopping centre car park, so I drove past and looked for a street that didn't have a double yellow line. I found one that had just one and parked there. Martin would get a parking ticket but we were both used to that. We walked to the high street, crossed it, and went into the shopping centre. We went into Argos directly. Martin had said to drop her off, and since she was so uninterested in me I felt no compulsion to assist her any further, no matter how beautiful she was. All the same I felt rather uneasy. Some ancient fight or flight reflex was kicking into gear for no apparent reason. I hoped to God that dropping her off would be all I'd have to do.
It wasn't.

No comments:

Post a Comment